Your cosmetology school education will truly be the foundation for your new career. When you’re happy in school, you’ll be more likely to learn and master the skills you’re being taught in class. When you’re able to master the skills, you’ll be more likely to succeed in the industry after your graduate. Selecting the cosmetology school you’ll enroll in is a decision that has a huge impact on your future career!
Here are six steps for choosing the right cosmetology school for you:
1. Talk to your friends and family members who work in the beauty industry and get their recommendations. If you don’t know any friends who work in the industry, why not ask your hair stylist? He or she probably knows about the career schools in the area and can give you some guidance.
2. Next you’ll want to research these schools online. Check out the school’s website for more information on their programs. It’s also a good idea to check the school’s social media sites, for more pictures of the school and the students, and review sites, like Yelp.
3. If you like what you find online, take the next step and contact the school to schedule a school tour. By this time, you should have already narrowed down your list to two or three possible schools.
4. The day of your tour, you’ll tour the school’s facilities and meet with the school staff. It’s important that you take it all in and ask lots of questions during your time there. Do the programs cover everything you want to learn? What do they prepare you for? Does the school offer any type of career services once you graduate? Asking these questions will give you important information that will impact your final decision.
5. Once you’re nearing your decision, it’s time to talk with a Financial Aid specialist. They’ll be able to educate you on your best options for paying for school and can even help you complete the paperwork.
6. It’s time to make your final decision! You should always trust your gut and pick the career school that feels right. Most professionals say that when they first took their school tour, they knew right away that it was the right place for them.